Planning and Consulting
As marketing experts with extensive experience in the financial sector, Vermilian is able to provide our clients with advise about a range of marketing and business operations.
Engagements we consult on include
- market analysis
- competitor analysis
- internal capacity analysis
- business objective setting
- strategic planning workshop facilitation
- practical business plan preparation
- robust financial modelling to test the feasibility of business strategies
- brand and marketing strategy creation
Can we help you?
Planning is the most critical marketing function. We can help you develop systematic, effective and flexible marketing programs.
Analysing and understanding an organisation’s market is an essential first step in strategic planning.
- what is the business' target market's characteristics, needs and values?
- what is the profile of the organisation’s existing customer base?
- what relevant trends are evident across the target market?
- are there definable segments within the market that can be described and have distinct requirements in terms of product, marketing or distribution?
An organisation’s strategic assessment should address key issues relating to its competitive positioning including:
- competitor analysis including existing and potential new entrants
- product comparisons
- product development trends and relevant innovations within the industry
- the competitive positioning of the organisation vis a vis its competitors
- strategic opportunities and threats
A business assessment provides an analysis of the performance and capabilities of an organisation including issues such as:
- product features and gaps
- operational capabilities in key business lines: sales & distribution, marketing, HR, production, service delivery, communications, IT, etc.
- financial performance including trend analysis, benchmarking and identification of potential performance improvement
The situation analysis combines all elements of the market, strategic and business assessments into an overall ‘as is’ analysis of the organisation’s current situation and circumstances.
Board and management vision
Organisational purpose needs to be driven by board and management vision. Developing a unified view of long-term organisational potential is often a challenging task, but one that is critical to good strategy as it defines the organisation’s sense of shared purpose.
Mission, vision and objectives
Setting organisation direction requires clarity of purpose.
Even if an organisation adopts a flexible strategic posture, boards and management still need to resolve questions such as:
- what is the overall purpose of the business?
- where is the business headed and what should it be like in the future?
- how does the organisation know that it is achieving its mission and vision, ie. what high-level objectives/goals/KPIs are appropriate?
Ideally, strategy identification and development should take place within the context of a solid situation analysis from which new strategies frequently emerge. Strategies need to be considered across a number of different areas including: product/pricing; sales/distribution; marketing/communications; operations/structure; financial management and governance. Establishing strategies also requires strategy analysis and prioritisation, a process that can take time and work.
Financial forecasting should be an integral part of strategic planning. Trend and scenario analysis assists with budgeting, resource allocation and goal setting. Ideally, the process of goal setting, strategy formulation and forecasting should be undertaken collectively, with goals, strategies and forecasts adjusted until they are consistent and complete.
Setting a robust Business Plan involves matters such as:
- identifying definable projects/workstreams that give effect to agreed strategies
- establishing project/workstream priorities, timetables and responsibilities
- establishing appropriate monitoring and reporting practices to oversee execution
We have extensive experience in all aspects of strategic planning. We regularly work with clients to facilitate strategic planning workshops.
Can we help you?
Vermilian can assist your organisation with a range of strategy engagements including business planning and other strategy-related projects.
Your business plan should address the following:
- your organisation's mission and vision and objectives
- key result areas (KRAs)
- business goals for each KRA
- strategies and projects/activities for each KRA
- timetables, budgets and responsibilities
We maintain a regular benchmarking capability across all areas of the retail financial services industry and can assist clients with:
- product price benchmarking
- assessments of developments in specific product categories
- mystery shopping of competitor products
Market research and segmentation
We have solid experience in market analysis and segmentation and can help:
- refine your market
- understand the characteristics of market segments and develop compelling value propositions
- improve the return on your marketing spend through targeted activity
- Capital and balance sheet modeling and forecasting
- Assessment of proposed capital issuance options
- Profitability analysis of new products, packages, etc
- Fee scenario modeling
- Research into new products
- Development and pricing of new products